Monday, September 8, 2008

Watching The Fair Parade

I love being a roots person - meaning a person who puts down roots in one location and stays there all their life. God may have other plans for us someday but I sure hope not. I love Abilene. It's home. We sit in the same location - a nice shady spot - every year to watch the West Texas Fair and Rodeo Parade. We park David's truck there the night before to save our spot. Yeah, we're hicks -well, I am anyway! Here are the pics from this year's watching of the parade.

We always start out with breakfast from McKay's Bakery. (Everyone but Nathan since there is nothing he likes from there - silly boy.) Benjamin and I really enjoy McKay's muffins...and cookies!! Okay so it's not the healthiest breakfast in the world but it sure is yummy!! My favorite cookie from the bakery is the Neiman Marcus Chocolate Chip and Benjamin's favorites are their sugar cookies and chocolate thumbprints. Benjamin passed the time while we were waiting for the parade to start by playing with my shades.
Nathan played with some cars that Grandma had brought.
How much of this waiting stuff can two preschoolers take? I love the look on Benjamin' face - sort of squinting 'cause it was bright and sort of questioning because we told him there would be a parade but he hasn't seen anything yet and super cute 'cause he looks just like his Dad (in my humble opinion).
Here's Nathan and, as he says, his friend Poppo. Finally, the parade began and there were all sorts of cool things to watch. The boys moved around to all the various locations they had available to them throughout the course of the parade. They sat with Grandma and Poppo,...
with Dad,...
and with me.I have no idea why Nathan is making this face. There's no telling with him but I think it's pretty funny looking.
Nathan alternated between hiding from the loud noises and...
adding to them!There were a few things that he really liked (like the big huge inflatable Marine) and he would watch them as long as he could see them.
Here's a few of my favorite attractions from this year. First off this is my uncle driving his cool red convertible. (Yes, I'm such a hick that I even have relatives and people I graduated from high school with that are in the parade each year.)
Next, is our friend Tom from church on a Segway.
And finally I like this clown because he stopped to talk to Nathan for a minute and that was kind of fun.
As we were putting everything back into our van and tying the stuff back down in the back of Poppo's truck the boys played inside the cab of his truck. What a Cutie Pie this is looking out through the window!
Benjamin played with the CD player which is a no-no in our van butwas permissible in Poppo's truck. He kept giving Grandma cute looks making sure it was okay.
When you're two years old pushing a CD in a making it come back out is great entertainment. He managed to not break the CD which I was very proud of.
The boys enjoy the parade more and more each year. I look forward to sitting in our spot and watching it with them for many years to come.

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter