Monday, June 1, 2009

Saturday At The Zoo

As I said in my previous post, I have quite a few zoo pics so here they are.


David and the boys walked on in to the zoo to play on the rocks while I bought some rye crackers for the animals. One of the zoo keepers had an animal whose name I can't remember on a leash for people to see. Once I joined the fam the boys were off and running to the new wetlands exhibits - one of our new favorite places to be.
You gotta love scattering the waterfowl.
As we walked through the zoo these birds were walking along too. The boys wanted a closer look so they followed them for a little ways.
The turtles are always a big hit. We've read Dr. Suess's ABC's so many times that we really think they need a tuttle tuttle tree, if there were such a thing.
At this point in our journey through the zoo Benjamin and I needed to make a trip out to the van for a clean pull-up. (He is making good progress toward being in big boy underwear all the time but not quite ready to make big trips in them just yet.) I left the camera with Dad and he took this pic of Nathan...
and this video. Nathan is explaining that he is a bear and this is his habitat. (at leath that is what he was doing until he got distracted by a stick.) I'm not sure how many four-year-olds use the word 'habitat' but Nathan has watched enough Diego and Planet Earth that it is a regular part of his vocabulary.

The black bear was reaching through his fence to get crackers people would throw to him. The boys were in awe of his huge claws. I have to admit they were pretty impressive.
Here's my little monkey outside the Angolan Colobus cage.
Nathan and Benjamin both enjoyed climbing around on the roots of this big old tree.
We tried to get them to sit together for a quick photo opp but they were much too busy climbing around. David did get pics of them sitting one at a time - that's close enough.
When I was Nathan's age this little observatory deck was a great place to watch the seals swim around. Ah, those were the days. Now there are Angolan Colobus monkeys to look at. I guess they're pretty cool to watch too.
Just wandering around - sort of moseying over to the ducks.
Feeding the ducks and geese and fish and turtle is always a hit with the boys.
Ride 'em Benjamin!
Another zoo keeper had this kester to show people. He was a pretty kean looking bird.
This third kid in a maroon shirt and denim shirts feeding the giraffes looked like he belonged with us since he matched.
More wandering around.
My new camera has an aquarium setting that David tried out. I really like these pics of the boys inside the aquarium area - I would never have been able to take them with my old camera.
Here they are with the mere cat....
and here's Nathan checking out a snake. I like his faint reflection in the glass.

We're loving our zoo membership. The boys are at the perfect age to enjoy running around the zoo (no more pushing a double stroller or pulling a wagon) and our zoo is the perfect size to enjoy in just a couple of hours. We're looking forward to many happy returns.

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter