Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Nathan's Third Birthday

That's right we have a three year old! Man, it's hard to believe. Three years ago I could not have begun to imagine what a blessing (and challenge) these first three years of child rearing would be. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.


We celebrated Nathan's third birthday with a pizza party at our church's Fellowship Hall last Saturday evening, September 1 (which was his actual birth date) and we'll celebrate with his peers on this coming Friday the 6th in a combined party for him and our friend Lucy who turns one on Friday.


Here are some pictures of all our party fun Saturday. Nathan was so cute opening his gifts. He would excitedly say "I got a package!" It didn't matter at that point what was inside he was just so happy to have a package to open. We didn't really plan a certain theme for the party but I spotted a huge Thomas the Tank Engine balloon at a store earlier in the week and asked my parents to pick it up for us. Then I found conductors hats at the Card and Party Factory when I went to pick up the regular helium balloons and just couldn't pass them up. Nathan actually kept the hat on for quite a while.He received lots of great presents but his favorite was probably the view master. (I have some cute pictures we took at the house of them playing with the new toys so I'll blog those later.)
He was making all sorts of cute expressions as he clicked through the pictures but it was hard to capture that on film.
Another gift he really liked was his very own pint-size computer. Like father, like son - might as well start him early. Before I know it he'll know more about computers than I do (of course that wouldn't be too hard).
The boys great grandmother got Nathan this very nice Thomas the Tank Engine backpack packed with clothes. He even got some white gold-toe socks just like Dad has. Too cute!


Daniel and Kathryn (cousins) helped Nathan by handing his presents to him.
Several people also brought gifts for Benjamin to open. Uncle Brad got him the little G.I. Joe action figure he is holding up here...
as well as getting each boy one of these Buzz Lightyear cell phones (once again - like father, like son.)
Dr. Dave (he's been an optometrist for over 30 years hence the 'Dr.' title) and his wife Jan got Benjamin this book titled "Tails" which has lots of fun stuff to do on every page. We actually already had a copy of it at our house but it was getting very worn out so we were glad to have a fresh one.
We ordered pizza for dinner since it is one of Nathan's favorite foods...

and Benjamin's too. For some unexplainable reason they like to eat it upside down, maybe because it's messier that way, who knows. Notice the cups on their trays - they're from Luby's. That's what a child's drink comes in and then we get to take them home. The boys great-grandmother loves to eat at Luby's and take us all with her so we've got a nice little stack of these handy cups in our cupboard.
Nathan is not a big fan of cake (probably because of his traumatic run-in with hot candle wax on his first birthday cake) so I decided to make him a birthday fruit pizza because he likes fruit so well. It was really a lot of fun to make - I like to play with my food!
I also made a funfetti cake with chocolate icing and sprinkles. It just doesn't seem like a birthday party to me if there isn't cake and ice cream - Benjamin agrees! Somehow he always manages to end up covered in icing. Oh well.
Well, a fun time was had by all. Just think in two months we get to party all over again.
Yeah!

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter