Saturday, September 8, 2007

Top Ten Ways You Can Tell I'm A Hick

I recently read a blog tag where you're supposed to tell eight random facts about yourself. The more I thought about what I would put in a post like that the more it turned into this top ten list. Even though I've never drank beer, dipped snuff, or scooted a boot, I think you'll agree I'm still quite a hick. Oh we'll, I gotta be me.

10. My Excitement Over Anything New - Growing up in a small west Texas town there was seldom anything 'new' so whenever a new restaurant or store opened there was this great sense of excitement about getting to visit someplace new and I guess it just stuck with me.

9. My Listening Preferences - I grew up listening to both kinds of music, country and western and I still like the sound of a steel guitar and twin fiddles better than just about anything else in the world.

8. Shows I've Watched - I watched a lot of Hee-Haw and The Grand Ol' Opry back in my younger days and I like it.

7. My Dining Preferences - My favorite meals consist of some sort of fried chicken or steak, accompanied by a big pile of mashed taters with white gravy, a big slice of sweet cornbread, and a tall glass of sweet tea. If I could have any dessert in the world it would be a big bowl of my Mammaw's made-from-scratch chocolate puddin' (she passed away in 2002 so I'm out of luck on that one).

6. My Post-rain Ritual - After we get a good bit of rain I like to drive around see how high the water is in the creeks and lakes. This is something I can remember doing with my maternal grandparents and it is always a little nostalgic for me.

5. My Common Sighting of Hometown Folks - In just the past week I've randomly run into three friends that I went to high school with and found out that my fourth grade teacher lives just down the street from me.

4. My Attire - I'm not much for frills and lace. I'm most comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt.

3. My Make-up - For the most part I go all-natural in the area of make-up. I'll occasionally dab on a little concealer or lipstick but not usually. I'm one of those what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of people.

2. My Accent - Anyone who has ever heard me speak can vouch for this one. I recently met one of my friend's mother who is from up-state New York and she said to me "So this is what a real Texas accent sounds like." I said "Yup, shore is."

and the #1 way you can tell I'm a hick...

1. My Giddiness Over The Fair - I've been to the West Texas Fair and Rodeo for as far back as I can remember. As a kid I went with friends to ride the kiddie rides. In high school the band (of which I was always a member) always went after we marched in the parade. Since moving to Abilene in 1997 David and I have gone to the parade and fair every year except 2004 (we were kind of busy with a newborn). It's gotten to the point now that we go and park David's truck downtown in our favorite spot the Friday night before the parade so that we can enjoy the entire parade in the shade - this makes us hard-core hicks but that's okay.

I hope you enjoy the next few posts - they're going to be about the parade and fair - Yee-haw!!

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter