Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

The Lord's timing is perfect. This I know for sure. In almost every Bible study I have ever participated in there is always a special moment when I realize 'oh, that's why God has me studying this right now.' When I was taking the Beth Moore study, "Believing God" (Spring 04)God moved me into a deeper faith in Him, a faith that would make is possible for me to take a huge leap and trust Him enough for His provision to quit my job to stay home with my baby boy (God certainly had amazing blessings in store there - even another baby!). As I participated in the Beth Moore study on Daniel (Summer 2007) the last week of study, an absolute fabulous week when we talked about Death's ultimate demise and an eternity in heaven where there will be no more weeping, came the same week a close friend lost her baby full term (boy, did I need those words then.)

Well, right now my mentor and I are going through the Elizabeth George study, "Life Management For Busy Women" and God has done it again. He has delivered just the right word at just the right time. As I begin this new year and think about what sort of resolutions I should make and implement in my life, this is the paragraph I read...

"Maybe it's because at one time I was an English teacher, but I pay careful attention to verbs, the part of each sentence that indicates action. And I can't help but notice that verbs like strive, reach, press, endure, fight, run, and continue are liberally sprinkled throughout the New Testament. All of these verbs and the verses they appear in point me to the fact that the Christian life and the management of my Christian life is not a sprint or a spurt or a sputter. My life is not to be characterized by false starts, fad diets, flashy gimmicks, or flashes of discipline followed by long periods of self-indulgence and/or neglect. No, the verbs in these verses encourage me to embrace the fact that life management is a "marathon" characterized by a long-sustained, steady pace of running that is required for running the disciplined race of a life of dedication and service to God."

I apologize for my inability to indent the whole paragraph as should be done with quotes over five lines long - I think I remember that rule correctly. I'm sure Mrs. George could tell me since she used to teach English. Anyway, this paragraph reverberated in my heart - my daily resolution (not just my January 1st resolution) should be to pursue discipline in all areas of my life. I thank the Lord and His servants Mrs. George and my mentor, for bringing these timely words to me. I pray that they are a blessing to your life as well as we begin 2008.

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter