Monday, April 7, 2008

Gardening

We have a long shelf on the front of our house with several terra cotta pots sitting on it. I purchased the pots long before I had kids and back before I was a full time mom I used to actually grow flowers in them each year. They have sat empty for three years now due to my time being taken up with other activities - diaper changing, etc. Well, the pots are full once again - well seven of them any way. Last night the boys and I planted some moss rose and alyssum seeds. It was lots of fun. We began by putting some rocks (which we picked up out of the yard last summer) in the bottom of the pots for drainage.
The boys were anxious to use their shovels but couldn't really use them very well to get the rocks.At first I had the pots sitting on the ground next to my big bucket-o-potting mix... but we kept getting more dirt on the driveway than we did in the pots. Imagine that.So I moved the pots into the bug bucket and things went much smoother.

I love this shot David got of all three of our shovels (mine is actually a trowel) in the dirt together. As the Wonder Pets (and consequently my boys) would say - "What's it gonna take? Teamwork!" Now we're ready for the seeds...

and the water.

Once we had the seeds planted and placed back on the shelf the real fun began or so the boys would tell you. I didn't realize just what an adventure you can have with water, dirt, and boys - it's a great combination. They loved making patterns on the sidewalk with the water that was left in the watering can.
Nathan really liked making hand and foot prints on the sidewalk.

Who knew you could have this much fun with just some water on the sidewalk?

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter