Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Benjamin's Birthday Party

This past Saturday night we had Benjamin's birthday pizza party in our church's Fellowship Hall. We had a great time celebrating our youngest's first two fabulous years.

Here's the birthday boy sporting his party hat which lasted maybe a whole three seconds after the picture was snapped.Big brother wore one about as long.

We had balloons to decorate the room and for the boys to play with. I learned a while back to always leave some balloons untethered from decorating purposes so that small people can play with them without having to untie them from their decorating posts. Benjamin really likes "Blue's Clues" right now so when I saw this big Blue head balloon I just couldn't pass it up. Benjamin is eyeing the table of presents he gets to open.

He received this card from my parents that sings the Wiggles song"Big Red Car" when you open it. If only I had a dollar for every time he and Nathan have opened it since then - I'd be a rich rich woman.

Nathan loves to open the card and play the song over and over again. Just as Benjamin got a couple of gifts to open at Nathan's party, Nathan got to open a couple at Benjamin's party. That's nice.

Benjamin opened this Little People video and just looked and looked at the pictures on the back. It looked like he was reading every word.

Nathan and Benjamin have both enjoyed this big Wiggles book with a hand held radio that plays about 20 different Wiggles songs. The nice thing about it is that the volume doesn't turn up very loud. We parental folks appreciate that in a toy.

Benjamin just looked so cute in this picture all squatted down and concentrating so hard on getting this thing open.

His great-grandmother gave him lots of nice new clothes for this fall.

As soon as he opened this Little People book he wanted to climb up in my lap and look at it. I gladly obliged.

Benjamin got Granpop to help him open some of his gifts. This big box contained what I thought would be a great gift for Benjamin...

a big yellow puppy dog he can color on and then wipe off and color again. As it turns out it is a little bit difficult to write on, you have to press down pretty hard with your crayon so it's not quite as much fun as I had hoped it would be. Oh well.

Both boys really enjoy working puzzles and are remarkably good at them for their age (as least it seemed that was to me but I am biased I know.)

Benjamin is talking more all the time but still isn't saying more than one or two words at a time yet he never fails to communicate exactly what he wants. This is him stating that he wants the puzzle in my lap placed on the floor for him to work.

We had a few minutes before the pizza arrived and after all the presents had been opened so we went ahead and let the boys work the two puzzles than Benjamin had received.

They work really well together (for the most part anyway) and assemble the pieces like pros. Here's Benjamin placing the corner piece right where it belongs.

Soon the first one was all done and they were ready to move on to the bigger project.

Even though this bigger puzzle has 24 interlocking pieces the boys soon had it complete as well with just a little assistance from me.

The pizza soon arrived it was time for chowing down. Yummy!

Benjamin is certainly happy with our dinner selection.

I loved this sweet shot of Benjamin even if he does have a little tomato sauce smudged here and there.

Nathan helped me decorate the cake table. Silly me, I had just stacked all the plates up in one pile - how boring was that! Nathan was nice enough to spread out the whole stack and make things look much more festive.

We all sang "Happy Birthday" to Benjamin and then I helped him blow out his candles. I made him a chocolate chip pound cake. It was very good if I do say so myself. Benjamin certainly enjoyed his cake and ice cream.

Nathan is an ice-cream-only kind of guy. Here's the fam - David and I, our sons, parents, and my grandmother -our only living grandparent. (Unfortunately David's brother and his family weren't able to make it to the party.) I feel very blessed to live so close to my family. I'm a very big fan of the whole generational involvement and influence thing. I was blessed to grow up very close to my mom's parents and I treasure all the memories I have of time spent with them. I'm so glad my sons have that blessing as well - with all their grandparents.

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter