Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Carving

Last Sunday night we (mostly I) carved pumpkins. Here the boys are with their pumpkins ready to go.
They watched intently as I made the first skillful incision - okay maybe not so skillful.
Oh yea, yucky stuff!
And of course cleaning out all the yucky stuff.
Parts of this post could be titled "Unauthorized Use of Pampered Chef Products." I used the PC Boil Control (a small round piece of metal that you put in the bottom of your pot when boiling something and it is guaranteed not to boil over) to clean out the inside of the pumpkin - it worked great!
The boys inspected inside the pumpkin to make sure it was cleaned out good.
Now same song second verse.
Next I used the PC Cake Tester (a long metal stick with a circle on one end) to poke through the pattern for the jack-o-lantern faces. The Better Homes and Gardens website had a great feature where you could design and print off your own faces.
I love my very attentive audience.
Benjamin is peeking through the cake tester at me.
Looks good.
Now for the cutting.
The eyes on Nathan's jack-o-lantern were in the shape of upside down V's.
Nathan thought it looked cool when the little carving knife's blade poked through into the inside of the pumpkin.
He brought Benjamin over to show him. What a nice big brother. Everyone was excited when the first face was done.
Next it was time for the boys to eat dinner so they ate at their little table near me so they could still watch the carving process. You know they've gotta keep an eye on mom and make sure she does it right.
Finally we have the finished product.
This was the most fun I've had carving pumpkins in a long time. I've done it by myself in years past and always enjoyed it but I've never been so closely observed while doing it as I was this year. You would have thought I was painting the Mona Lisa for all the attention I got. It was really sweet. I remember carving pumpkins with my Dad when I was little and being amazed at the process so I guess my boys are no different.
Here they are all lit up.
Nice and spooky - but not too spooky!
Before going bed we read The Pumpkin Patch Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs.

Good night and happy October 31st!

1 comment:

onemotherslove said...

Hey, that's a great idea to use the Pampered Chef boiling thing! I'll have to remember that!

It Is Written...

Site Meter