Monday, August 4, 2008

Sidewalk Chalk + Paintburshes + Water =

Not Exactly What I Had Planned!

The idea I had for creative fun on this particular evening was simple - we would draw on the sidewalk with chalk and then get out our pretend paint (water) and our paintbrushes and make fabulous blurry blended color works of art.

Here's the first step: draw on the sidewalk. For this particular project it works best to put down lots of chalk so that there's lots of color to blend with the water later.
The boys like to "erase" the chalk drawings with their paintbrushes
and this brush that came with their sidewalk chalks.
Once our dry drawing was complete we got out our "paint" bucket and started painting the chalk drawings.
I demonstrate how to blend and smear the chalk with the brush. (I've always been an artist wanna be.)
Everything goes smoothly for a while.
Blending the rainbow colors was really fun! Soon the boys became more interested in making hand and foot prints (which, I must admit, was quite cute.)
Okay, I had to get in on the foot print fun too - this big print is mine.
Benjamin wanted the chalk back so he could color in my footprint.
Nathan liked the way his brush was all funny colors after he worked on the rainbow for a while.
They enjoyed some splash dancing too of course.
Benjamin decided that Nathan needed painted as well...
and Nathan enjoyed it.
Benjamin was very thorough.
He even got Nathan's hair - which they both thought was pretty funny.
Then Benjamin decided that if getting Nathan a little wet was fun then getting his big bro really wet would be really fun. Benjamin picked up the paint bucket and dowsed Nathan. (This is the part that falls into the "not exactly what I had planned" category.)
The dowsing continued. They were having a blast!
This is one of my favorite new pics of Nathan. His eyes look amazing - so what if he is a bit wetter than I had expected. I love the blurred rainbow behind him.
When Nathan stood up he realized how gross and wet his clothes felt...
so he decided the best thing to do would be to repay the favor and dowse the little bro.
Then everyone was very wet.
Soon afterward I herded two very drippy boys into the garage, stripped them down, and then they headed to the tub for a bath.

Though things went differently than I had planned, it was still a great evening watching my two little God-given best friends play together. They are so blessed to have each other.

No comments:

It Is Written...

Site Meter